Sunday, September 12, 2010

A bit distracted

There are times at church when I get irritated that I get distracted, but today, the distractions were sweet.

I noticed a little 4 yr old girl, wrap her arm around her mother as she sang, "The joy of the Lord, will be my strength...." This mother with 3 children under 6 yrs of age, is holding down fort while her husband is in Iraq...he has been gone 9 months. I know that Hannah has no idea that Jesus is the strength that makes this separation bearable.

Later, I noticed a young girl, about 8 or 9 yrs old. She took her grandmothers checkbook out and started writing the check for contribution. What a blessing, learning to give. Her grandmother is a precious example of giving, as she is raising this young girl.

Wow, I noticed a beautiful toddler, seemed like she was a baby just yesterday. Having a communion cup to lick clean, must have been a treat for her....someday she will know so much more about this emblem. Her parents and grandparents worship together, ... she is blessed.

Marcus holds my hand, with every prayer, and sometimes I think nothing of it, but today, it was a reminder that we are united in our faith. What a sweet gift.

As we sang, "Lord, reign in Me, reign in my heart..." I recalled the beauty of all the Cathedrals, and thought if that song had been playing in such a magnificent place...it would focus on what matters.

Some days a bit of distraction can turn into a blessing...that's how it felt for me today.

No comments: