Saturday, March 3, 2007

Am I one of them?

Before we relocated, Alex informed me that I was going to a place of "old people." I laughed at him and wondered what he thought I was. How bad could it be?
Not to sound rude, but I am having to adjust to the retired population and I don't even live in a "Retirement community or active adult community." But, yesterday, I felt surrounded by "them."
We got to go see the Astros at Spring Training, and being a Astro's fan, seeing our team in this setting was a bit disconcerting. I wasn't expecting Minutemaid Park, and had wondered how the fans contributed to the atmosphere. It was a nice outdoor field, and the crowd was awakened by a foul ball once in a while. They cheered Biggio & Berkman. But, as I looked around, I agree with Alex, it was a place of old people (at least 75% of the crowd)

I wondered what their life stories are? I wish them continued health as I saw some struggle to climb the stairs. They had a friend or mate by their side. They came to enjoy a beautiful afternoon at the ballpark, and they didn't need to drink to have fun. I will adjust and be grateful for the opportunity.

Another regular activity that I observe is, indoor sky-diving. www.skyventureorlando.com Marcus loves to indoor sky-dive.
He's working on different maneuvers. Lately, he lets the wind lift him when he's on his back. He's about ready to try turning flips .
He says he has no interest in the real deal, but has been offered free lessons, if he would fly the plane for the divers. That's a wait & see proposition. He has to get checked out on the smaller aircraft.
As I wait for his group to come into the wind tunnel, I get to see others dive in. I love that little kids have no fear. Time after time, families hear their kids say that this 2 minutes was the best part of their ($5000.00) vacation.
Quite a contrast in one day. But, it was a good day.

No comments: