Monday, July 13, 2009

Was that Me Yelling?



When I was 9 yrs old, my Dad showed me a life lesson,
that came into play yesterday with an instant reaction.

My Dad sent my Mom home from Darby's Little League game
when she decided to tell the umpire that he was wrong.
"Joan" Dad said, " There are children around here and
that won't happen around kids. You go home."
And she did! Not because he "ruled" over her,
but because she needed to show those kids she was wrong.

Yesterday, at Marc's YMCA softball game, that life lesson
came into play...but not quiet the same way.

The opposing team (Green) were on fire, with their young wives and children looking on.
Our team had a hard time getting started. The Green were penalized an out
from an unaware ruling that they questioned, & questioned & questioned.
I'm thinking it is 8 to 1 in the 2nd ending, the umpire is saying
"We obey the rules" ... get over it!
They stalled the 3rd ending grilling the ump about the old call.
enough already!

Later, I see 2 Green players at there bench,
having words and shoving each other. Then one throws
a water bottle at the other, it continues.
"There are children here!"
"There are children here!"
Was that ME yelling... an instant reaction.
Oops! I said it one more time.
( My kids said I always repeated to much.)
One of the guys goes to comfort his son.
The other is staring me down, being held by
a team member. Me, I stare back ,
thinking, you can be as mad at me as you want buddy,
I don't care, but you will not act that way around kids.
And I don't mean maybe! That was totally unacceptable"

Yes, the Mom lecture was alive and going on in my brain,
and I wasn't letting down.

It was at this point that Marcus feared getting hurt.
"How would you get hurt" I ask?
"Do you think I was going to let him hurt you"
That never occurred to me, Marcus suggested that
I should have left it to the umpire...
but I hadn't really planned on yelling out.
I usually cheer quietly, never calling attention to myself.

But, there were children there!

and Marc's team came alive and won 12 -11

P.S. Scroll down and look at our sweet Eli and his birthday cake.



No comments: