Friday, December 17, 2010

What's a person to do?

When I was teaching at CSK, (a Christian School) one of the students voiced his concern about going to public school. He mentioned that he would not be allowed to carry his Bible in school. He didn't carry it around CSK, but at least he had the right to, if he wished.

I acknowledged that it was no good, BUT, it wasn't "carrying a Bible" that would make a difference, it was "Being God's Child" that others would notice. That involved how he talked, who he cared about, and being a respectful student. No one can take away how you choose to act.

I had to remind myself of that very point today. While shopping in Walmart, I ask one of the employee's about a news report. "Was it a nasty rumor, that Walmart employee's can't say "Merry Christmas", I ask.
She replied that they can only reply "Merry Christmas", because some people are not Christians and saying "Merry Christmas" would be offensive.
I told her I was sad, and I sorry that the company restricted them.
Then I told her "Merry Christmas" and she smiled and replied the same.

I thought of many ways to react about this changing world and in specific ---Walmart & Me!
Many things crossed my mind,

Stop shopping there!
Tell every worker "Merry Christmas"
Talk to the Manager!
Write the head office.
Just be mad!

But as I walked to the car, I recalled that student and our conversation in class.
No one can take away how you choose to act and whose you are!


That, I decided, is what a person's to do!
and write Walmart...

No comments: