Thursday, December 2, 2010

Whenever I see...

Whenever I see a Texas license plate, it feels like home.
The car I rented in Oklahoma has a Texas license plate, and I got so excited.
Yesterday, I happen to see a person with a Texas drivers license, and wished I had mine back.
When people ask me where I'm from, I say where I live, but I'm a Texan.( that part is said with the Texas accent)
It fits me, it was a wonderful place to grow up, even in the windy flatland part of the state.
I want to be there more, to see the sunsets, to see the big open sky and to see tumble weeds.

I think I got the best of both worlds, because my Dad was an Okie. That meant that when we crossed the state line, we sing OKLAHOMA. I root for the Sooners. I feel privileged to have claims to both states. I often felt that it was the "okie" in my Dad that made him so cool.

Add to that, my east Texas roots, via Marcus. Another world, a slower pace, a friendlier people, ( all Texans are friendly) they are friendlier and beautiful trees. At first, I couldn't see anything for the trees, it was weird and a bit insulting to Marcus. But grow up in Amarillo and you will understand.

I am thankful to get to live other places, nice, good places....
but, whenever I see Texas stuff, I feel a bit of home.
Texas, my home!





No comments: