Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Languages of Love

Have you read that book? The real title is "The 5 languages of love." Great book! Made me less judgmental about all those ladies who expect diamonds for a valentine gift. I'm not a jewelry person, not much on flowers, but as a sweet tooth, I welcome chocolate candy.

According to the book, I feel love from compliments. I knew that, just glad it was confirmed in a book. Maybe I appear needy, since for some people, they tell you once how they feel, and they will let you know when they change their minds. Luckily, I haven't been subjected to that
orneriness.

I believe part of my need for verbal affirmation, was due to my academic struggles in school. I was blessed to have great parents, who never compared by report card with my sisters. (She made straight A's) I was already beating myself up, and they never added to the wound. They never treated me like I was dumb, but encouraged me to keep trying. Things eventually got a lot better. I'm so thankful that home was always a safe place to be.

That situation influenced me to do the same for my kids, ( make our home a safe place to fall) and some feed back makes me feel like we was successful most of the time.

But what really thrills me, is that I'm sure they will do the same for their families. That's the "love language" of peace.

1 comment:

Kathy aka Pie said...

I have read that book, it helped me in much the same way it helped you. And by the way Aunt Debby, Jesse is like you. I hope my boys feel that home was safe. AJ had such a struggle with ADD & school, but "we" all got through it. I couldn't ever get Jim Bob to read the book, but that's ok, he does pretty good lovin' me. And I didn't get diamonds for Valentine's, I got a sweetheart blast from the Sonic, yum. love ya